|The Abominable Show-Man|
Stanley Ralph Ross
The Abominable Show-Man is the 8th episode of Season 2 of Kids Incorporated and 34th episode overall. In this episode, the kids have to expose a sleazy con-artist named Brendan Roberts.
Following the introductory song ("Sussudio"); the kids arrive at the counter when a mysterious stranger announces he's buying. He then starts spouting "showbiz-ese" that Ryan is able to translate before introducing himself as an agent named Brendan Roberts. Ryan asks if Brendan was a little young to be an agent. Yes, yes he is but he says by the time an agent is 20 they're considered washed up. Finally, Brendan tries to promote a charity show that doubled as a fundraiser to defeat "the greatest killer of them all"...natural causes. Ryan & Kid, needless to say, aren't convinced he's for real ("Bad, Bad Trouble").
Brendan returns to the P*lace; managing to convince Gloria he's legit and offering the kids a record deal. The kids (including a very reluctant Ryan) decide to go along. Later, Brendan gives an unknown person his aun't number over the P*lace business phone, then tries to sweet-talk Gloria into going along by offering her a new wardrobe (Gloria doesn't wear fur; ruining his first attempt); leading up to "Wrapped Around Your Finger". Gloria attempts to convince Ryan that Brendan's legit; but Ryan is unconvinced...with good reason, as Stacy, Renee and Kid see Brendan stealing the money in the lockbox that was for the tickets sold for the benefit concert, and the chase is on. ("Running with the Night")
When the kids confront Brendan, he then attempts to claim "operating expenses" as his excuse for stealing the money; asking for the kids' understanding (versus forgiveness) before his exit. However, the kids are still stuck with doing a concert; which they do ("Last Train to Clarksville")
Kid Cast Edit
- Marta "Martika" Marrero - Gloria (credited as Martika Marrero)
- Ryan Lambert - Ryan
- Rahsaan Patterson - Kid
- Renee Sandstrom (credited as Renee Sands) - Renee
- Stacy Ferguson - Stacy
Adult Cast Edit
- Moosie Drier - Riley
- Kenny McMurphy - Brendan Roberts
- Wendy Brainard
- Darren Lee
- Mario Lopez
- Gina Marie Vinaccia
- Andrea Paige Wilson
- "Sussudio" (Phil Collins cover; lead vocals by Ryan & Stacy)
- "Bad, Bad Trouble" (Kids Incorporated original; lead vocals by Gloria)
- "Wrapped Around Your Finger" (The Police cover; lead vocals by Gloria)
- "Running with the Night" (Lionel Richie cover; lead vocals by Kid)
- "Last Train to Clarksville" (The Monkees cover; lead vocals by Gloria)
- Brendan Roberts would become the closest thing the show would have to a recurring villain, appearing in two other episodes; "The Phantom of the P*lace" later in Season 2 and Season 3's "Rockin' Saddles".
- The episode's writer, Stanley Ralph Ross, was a longtime television writer best known for writing for the Monkees (which the closing song originated from); a third of the 1966-68 Batman series episodes, developing the 1975-79 Wonder Woman series and writing the iconic opening lines used in the introduction for ABC's Wide World of Sports.
- Around the time she was starting her recording career, Martika got permission to use "Bad, Bad Trouble" (with a slight tweak in one line to "But I don't care" from the original "But I don't know" before the bridge) on a public-access cable appearance, with Wendy Brainard and Andrea Paige Wilson joining as the dancers.
- Renee didn't sing in this episode.
http://kidsincorporated.wikia.com/wiki/File:Ryan_Samans_and_Entertainment_%2280%22_%22Bad_Bad_Trouble%22_Martika Entertainment 80 clip of Martika performing "Bad, Bad Trouble"]]