|What's In a Name|
What's In a Name is the 13th and final episode of Season 4 of Kids Incorporated and 78th episode overall. In this episode, the creation of a new flavor of ice cream leads to the kids realizing they don't know the Kid's real name.
We pick up with the opening song "The Kid's American". Following this number; Riley invites the kids to try a new flavor of ice cream he's created. The kids, initially hesitant, try it and love it. All it needs now is a name; something the kids attempt to come up with after the next song ("Walk Like an Egyptian").
The kids begin their research; but the early suggestions aren't promising, such as Richie's suggestion of "Rocky Road V: The Sequel". Stacy's idea ("Romantic Summer Surprise") isn't much better; leading to Ryan mentioning how their names fit. It's at this point that the Kid tries to bail out; using homework as an excuse. The others then realize they don't know the Kid's real name ("Wot's It to Ya"). He's still embarassed about it; revealing only that he was named after a great-grandfather who was a tribal chief in Africa. Ryan then explains how many names have foreign origins (such as Renee's; who was named after a British relative on her mom's side who married into nobility); setting up "Sweet Freedom". Finally, the Kid reveals his real name: Rahsaan.
Rahsaan then returns to order the new flavor; only to get a surprise when the others show up to announce the name of the new flavor: Rocky Rahsaan Ripple, setting up closing song "Something So Strong".
Kid Cast Edit
- Ryan Lambert - Ryan
- Connie Lew - Connie
- Rahsaan Patterson - Rahsaan
- Renee Sandstrom (credited as Renee Sands) - Renee
- Stacy Ferguson - Stacy
- Richard Shoff - Richie
Adult Cast Edit
- Moosie Drier - Riley
- Dee Caspary
- Nicole Cropper
- Challyn Markray
- Brian Poth
- Gina Marie Vinaccia
- "The Kid's American" (Matthew Wilder cover; performed by Connie, Richie, Renee, Stacy, Ryan and Rahsaan)
- "Walk Like an Egyptian" (The Bangles cover; performed by Connie, Renee and Stacy)
- "Wot's It to Ya" (Robbie Nevil cover; performed by Rahsaan)
- "Sweet Freedom" (Michael McDonald cover; performed by Ryan, Renee, Rahsaan, Connie, Stacy and Richie)
- "Something So Strong" (Crowded House cover; performed by Rahsaan)
- This episode marked the final episode for Rahsaan Patterson; Renee Sands and dancer Challyn Mackray.
- There's some question about the order of the episodes, as the episode "Now Appearing" three shows earlier has Kid's name given as Rahsaan.
- "The Kid's American" was previously performed in the Season 1 episode "Superbike".
- This episode also would be the final episode for Kids Incorporated's original music director Michael Cruz.
- "Walk Like an Egyptian" is the only song in this episode where Rahsaan didn't sing lead.